Ongrok was first introduced to me via one of my helpful staff members, she was particularly excited when I arrived one morning, and we then spent the day ogling their catalogue. I have since gone a little crazy and pretty much ordered their entire line-up for my shelves and to say I was excited when the boxes arrived is a slight understatement!
Designed in North America (AKA Canada) with what I would describe as a modern minimalistic flair. High quality materials are their go to; natural hardwoods, aircraft-grade aluminium as well as eco-friendly materials. Products that are sleek as well as discrete, a range designed with lifestyle in mind.
As for the name? Comes from the work “Grok”, a term used in Robert Heinlein’s novel – Stranger in a Strange Land. Definition? To understand something deeply, intuitively or by empathy. Which is exactly the philosophy Ongrok stands by!
Decarboxylation is the process of heating marijuana and/or hemp to activate the medicinal cannabinoids within. Prior to heating, these cannabinoids are essentially “inactive”. Decarbing is very important if you are creating edibles/tinctures as there is no heating when you eat as opposed to smoking or vaping it. Undecarboxylated marijuana contains a large number of acids (THCa and CBDa) that have little psychoactive benefit and to receive the full benefits heat must be used.
TIP: Saying all that, latest research has shown that there are many health benefits to marijuana that has not been decarboxylated and it is said to be quite neuro-protective in its action.
Ongrok has come out with their own decarb kit, trying to help simplify the process. Everything in this kit is durable and resistant to heat. Pretty much all you require is included, except an oven and herbal material of course!
- 4oz Decarb Container – A large airtight, 304 stainless steel container that reminds me of a C Vault. C Vaults are used across the medical marijuana industry for their superior odour proof storage and curing abilities. This container is slightly different. There are 2 uses for this container. Firstly, you use it to decarboxylate. Your herbal material gets placed within and it goes straight into your oven. A small airlock has been included upon the lid allowing you to cool the contents when you are done. Once decarbing, is over you can use this container for smell-proof storage. All manner of odorous contents can be placed within for safe keeping.
Measuring: 19cms (a perfect circle).
- Silicone safety mitts – 2 small black, thick silicone coverings for your hands. Not sure if mitts is the right word as you slip your fingers inside one side and your thumb inside the other. Once on you can easily handle any hot tools, in particular you can handle the stainless steel decarb container straight out of the oven.
- 190 Micron Filter – After decarbing most people infuse their herbal material directly into butter, oil or a tincture. At the end of this process a filter of some sort is required. This filter allows you to separate the infused oil/butter from actual plant material. It is rated at 190 microns which basically represents the size of each “hole” in the filter. 75 microns or above is a good number for buds.
- Mini molds – 3 trays are offered in this kit. Each tray contains a myriad of shapes/animals that you can fill if you are making gummies, candies or baked treats. These molds are made from extremely durable and heat proof silicone.
- Dosing pipettes – 2 are provided, each holding up to 5ml each. Easy to use by squeezing the very top to fill.
All of the above products are easily cleanable and can be used over and over again.
- x1 4oz Stainless Steel Decarb Container with latched lid and an airlock
- x1 190 micro filter
- x3 Silicone molds
- x2 Dosing pipettes
- x2 Silicone protective hand covers
- 4oz Container for decarb
- Airlock feature
- Airtight storage
- Special filter provided
- Infusion accessories provided
- Silicone molds for gummies
- Hand protection provided
- Heat resistant
- Dishwasher safe